Wednesday, March 03, 2010

bone slide

As promised here's the photo of the bone slide I had made for me. It's had mixed reactions. Some people shudder at the thought of putting a bone on their finger. Well it doesn't bother me one bit, after all we're full of bones ourselves! So what do I think of it? Well it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship first of all. Randy, the guy who made it in the USA, really works with you to produce a custom slide the way you want it. I was a little surprised at the large size of it. I knew it would be bigger than a glass slide and not circular, but it is quite a hefty piece. Randy provides some self adhesive material to stick inside to take up the slack. The surface of it is smoothed and polished to a very high degree and provides a beautiful smooth, silky action when using it. I think the thickness and weight of it also helps to give a good action. The bone material works great as a slide and helps reduce the harsh "clatter" you can get with glass or metal slide if you hit the strings a little clumsily. As a special "gift", Randy also included a bone pick and some nut/saddle blanks. These will be worked into my "special" and should help with the tone. If you want one of these, you can contact Randy by email at farmish@comcast.net he calls his business Mojobone Works and he's a real nice guy to deal with. Be sure to tell him who sent you there. No I don't get a commission, it's just nice to know.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Dave! I hear Randy's not doing this anymore...any recommendation for getting a decent bone slide? I live in Nashville, TN...seems like there'd be a good resource here, but haven't found any so far.
Thanks!

David said...

I didn't know Randy had finished with them, it surprised me. I don't know of anyone else but I'll have a look around and post on here if I find any.

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Check out the one I have on ebay I made it myself on a lathe it works excellent and being machined it is nice and even not all wavey. Check it out its only 19.99 starting. I have to charge that just to make a 10 spot. You can not begrudge a person for trying to make a 10 spot. Thanks Adam